Raymond C Yard, one of New York’s finest jewelers during the first half of the 20th century. In 1898, the 13-year-old Yard began working entry-level positions at the New York firm of Marcus & Co. There he learned both the craft and the business of the jeweler, eventually becoming General Manager and gaining the respect and admiration of such wealthy clients as John D. Rockefeller, Jr. In 1922 Yard opened his own shop at 607 Fifth Avenue. His insistence upon exceptional designs, highest quality materials, and excellent craftsmanship won him many elite clients. His jewelry came to epitomize understated elegance. Yard specialized in utilizing the highest quality stones in appealing combinations of cuts and sizes. The first of Yard’s whimsical rabbit brooches appeared in December 1928—a dapper bunny in profile with top hat, cane, and flower bouquet. Between 1929 and 1931 he created a small series of rabbit waiter brooches, none of which is exactly alike. With its cocktail tray and champagne bottle peeking out of the swinging basket, a jewels such as these would have appealed to Yard’s "high society" clientele. That his bejeweled waiters are serving alcoholic drinks during Prohibition adds a certain humor to the whimsy.